Parenting is one of the most extraordinary adventures we can have and from a spiritual perspective, it offers a profound opportunity to put mindfulness into action. But it’s by no means easy. Parenting in a pandemic and in a time of global conflict adds previously unfathomable complexities. Contributing to the universal shifts underway is an army of lightworkers currently coming of age throughout the world. These young agents of change are what you might call old souls—highly evolved beings who have incarnated to anchor in the wisdom of a new era and help guide humanity towards unity consciousness. Willful and attuned to their power, these children can have a strong impact on those around them, including their parents, in ways that are not always easy or smooth. So how do we effectively support the continued evolution of these wise beings?
Using Their Power for The Highest Good
Because these children are old souls, they are very powerful, and part of their initiation is to use that power in alignment with the highest good. The same potent, embodied, strong-willed wisdom of these children also characterized the Sumerian Goddess Inanna. The example of Inanna is helpful for understanding these children because, as the Goddess of Love, the heart is her primary guide. And yet she is also the Goddess of War, so she has the power for both creation and destruction—possessing her polarities in perfect balance. These old souls mirror this dichotomy as they dismantle the old and lay down the new. In her myths, Inanna gives us permission to be who we are, to step outside of the arbitrary limitations set by our culture and to lean into our truth and embody self-love. She knows she is a force, and she owns it. Teach your children to understand how their power can be channeled through the heart like Inanna, a representation of fierce gentleness.
Members of this courageous cohort of souls often possess the following attributes:
- A strong will.
- Heightened intuition.
- An unapologetic acceptance of living as they are.
- A higher consciousness perspective that is precocious, even while still learning to self-regulate.
- An insistence, even while collaborative by nature, on doing things their
- A deep connection to the natural world including plants, animals, stones, and crystals.
- A proclivity for spiritual concepts and magic (particularly in what they read, study, or watch).
- A sensitivity to foods, energy, or external stimuli which can be marked by anxiety.
- A preference for working on their own timeline.
This list is by no means comprehensive but offers several examples of the unique ways parenting such beautiful beings offers up continuous opportunities for evolution. Our children, like our partners, are always our mirrors and teachers. Consider how your child is supporting your own process of spiritual growth by choosing you as a parent. When an old soul incarnates, the child may be carrying the frustration of possessing understanding that far surpasses their physical age. Unconsciously and on a spiritual level, they may be exasperated that they can’t just fast forward the stage of dependence into independence and get to doing the lightwork they came here to do. As parents, however, we can help by teaching them how to understand what they are feeling. Below are suggestions for how to be the parent they chose you to be.
What You Can Do to Help
Supporting our children through their frustration and into their capacity as guides towards unity consciousness, requires our committed attention and intention.
- Meet them where they are. Be sensitive to their frustration and track your own response so you can diffuse it instead of add to it.
- Celebrate their uniqueness and the path they have chosen!
- Given their sensitivity, subtle interventions are often helpful for such children including energy work, acupuncture, and homeopathy.
- Encourage physical exercise to constructively channel excess energy.
- Support their connection to crystals, animals, and the natural world by prioritizing outings and activities that allow for this.
- Teach them mantras to self-soothe and feel grounded such as, “I am the Light, I am protected by the Light.”
- Remind them about the Divine intervention available to support them from the unseen realms- their guides, angels, or power animals.
As wise old souls, these children are here to teach, and they offer opportunities for our own evolution in every moment. Congratulate yourself for agreeing to help them with their beautiful mission.
*Inspired by the wisdom of the Sumerian Goddess Inanna, this blog is an invitation to live as she does, like an Unapologetic Heroine.
Seana Zelazo, LICSW is a psychotherapist, spiritual coach and intuitive channel committed to helping us live unapologetically, by restoring balance within and without through the wisdom of the Sumerian Goddess Inanna. Look for her upcoming book The Return of Inanna: The Unapologetic Heroine in 2022. seanazelazo.com